Friday, January 8, 2010

the little bug expedition - day five (pam)

What an eventful day! When I arrived at El Bichito this morning (on my own on a Peruvian bus), I was asked to accompany Kate and a couple of Peruvian ladies to the central market of Cajamarca. One lady was named Patty and I can't remember the other. Our goal was to purchase some things for the big New Year's Eve party ... pinatas, treats, and supplies.

On the way, we had to stop in at the apartment of one of the ladies. I have never been in a Peruvian apartment before; I've mostly visited more traditional houses (huts) made out of adobe bricks with the dirt floor and ceramic pots on an open fire in the corner. And don't forget the chickens and guinea pigs running around the floor. The apartment was quite a contrast, but even still, it was very small and humble.

Kate and I visited with our new friend and her husband and children for quite a while. The family was so friendly and so eager to chat with us. I could actually understand quite a bit of what they said. I tried to converse, but my Spanish vocabulary is limited. Kate helped me quite a bit. (I've figured out that immersion in a culture has got to be the best way of learning a language.) Patty met up with us again, and then we were off to the market.

Our new friends knew exactly where to take us for the good deals. When we had done all the shopping that was needed, Kate and I headed back to the hotel in a taxi with all the loot. As luck would have it, our taxi driver ran into the car in front of us at the crossroads of a round-about. It was only a fender-bender, but those who got out of the car ahead, were not happy. We soon realized that we would be there forever if we waited for our helpless taxi driver to resolve his problem, so we bailed on him, after we explained our situation and hailed another taxi.

We made it back to the hotel in time to eat lunch with Feliciana (coordinator of El Bichito), Cameron, and Wayne. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss ways to help the children of El Bichito and their families. Our goal was to focus on the children who were very malnourished and those who lacked clothing.

It was 3:00 pm when we finished talking ... too late to head back to El Bichito, so all of us decided to go to the market and purchase the things needed. We had so much fun! The market was so busy and so stinky. We saw huge snails as big as my fist. Apparently the are sold to suck the impurities out of your skin. We saw whole heads of cows for sale. Yellow underpants are apparently popular; they came in all sizes for both sexes. I understand that the yellow underpants are part of the New Year's celebration. Cameron could be pulling my leg..

Every day is a surpise down here. On my way to the drop-in center this morning, a very traditionally dressed lady was pulling up her knickers after she and her little boy had taken a wee along side the road at the entrance of the hotel. Are we having any fun yet? YES! Wayne is quite sore today, but he kept up with everyone remarkably well. We feel blessed that he was able to make the trip. Well, I've got to close my eyes to sleep now. Nicht th'noo! Pam

0 comments: