Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mitch's final report (Aldea)

(note: The following is a letter from intern Mitch - his last letter before ending his internship at the Aldea Infantile.)

Dear Southern Cross,

Life changing. That is how I can most accurately describe my experience in Peru. I went, as many probably do, thinking about the difference that I could make in some children's lives, when in reality, what I gave is small compared to what I received. My love for others has grown and hopefully I can further develop a child's love, a love that has no bounds or reserves and is shared with all. As soon as we walked through the Aldea doors, children were offering to help us with our bags and holding our hands as they accompanied us to our casa. They had no idea who we were. We were a different color than them. We spoke a different language; and yet, they immediately loved us. I want to love as they loved.

Peru has also taught me that it is not so important what is done together, but rather the time that is spent together. Many children just wanted to talk with you, walk with you, or simply sit beside you. I have vowed to spend more time with those I love. Peru is home to many wonderful families, some of which I was only privileged to meet, while others I was privileged to stay with for a certain amount of time. It seemed to me that many families were more concerned about building family unity that they were about building their financial portfolio. These people really knew how to spend quality time with their families, something I hope to improve upon with my own family Peru has taught me that instead of hoping to find more joy with the acquisition of material things, find joy in the things you already have. It is okay to not have a toilet seat; at least there was a toilet. It is okay to have a house full of bugs; at least I had a house. It is okay to not have a personal car; conveys and taxis do just fine. It is okay to not have clocks or watches; more time could be dedicated to the moment. It is okay to not have computers and ipods, more time can be spent interacting with real, living beings.

Peru has taught me to share. I saw countless times people who had so little, give so much. Many people are so willing to offer their home, food and resources to help others. While traveling on the bus once, a lady who we were talking to, invited us to lunch and if needed, offered us her place to stay the night. Another time while traveling, we became friends with a family that made us promise that we would visit them when we passed through Lima and once again, offered us their home if we needed a place to stay. A couple of times at the Aldea, a kid brought me some fruit that he had just picked off of a tree. Two kids at the Aldea gave me their bracelets cause I mentioned that I liked them. I need to be less concerned with what I have, but concentrate on what I can give.

Above all, my heart has been softened, and I hope that I can continue helping where possible at the Aldea, especially in finding people to adopt. Just think, if every solid married couple in the world chose to adopt just one child, there would be no orphans and many happy children. I know that in addition to the children that I hope to have, I am going to adopt at least one child, and offer him/her the endless opportunities that I enjoy.

Thank you Southern Cross for aiding me in coming to the Aldea.

Mitch

0 comments: