Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A bit about Fredy (Shelisa at Aldea)


Getting to the orphanage I was not sure what to expect, I was blown out of the water at how amazing the children are and how loving they are even to a complete stranger. When our truck pulled up the children came flooding in and they helped us instantly with our bags and carried them to our house. I enjoy and love so many of the children already and it has only been two weeks but they have my heart. The children have been so patient with me and the language barrier. They are also always willing to help out even without being told if they see us doing a chore they jump in and do it for us. I am there to serve them but it does not feel that way they are always serving me with their love and kindness.

The one child that I would like to tell you about today is Fredy, he has stood out to me the most. He is 15 years old, at first he is quiet and does not say much, but really just observes you. He is the father of the orphanage here. He is always setting the example to the children and is very kind to them. When I see a child having a hard time or crying he is there to cheer them up and take care of them. He is always there to help the little ones who get picked on of that just need a friend. He is also a very hard worker with a lot of determination; you can tell just by the way he carries himself and how he works around the orphanage doing his chores. He is now warming up to me, it may have something to do with the fact that we play soccer (football) with them.

I was told a story about him that just made me so happy, it was around Christmas time and he was running around the orphanage yelling children children…. Come out and play, they created a train of children and played with them that day! He really is like the father of the orphanage. He is also always willing to learn new things. The other day while teaching the younger children to swim he was there watching and learning what we were teaching them.

0 comments: