Friday, March 12, 2010

my new best friend...Andres (mitch at aldea)

This week was definitely better than last week--no sick interns. With regards to the schedule and all the things we have planned to do each week, we were able to accomplish much. The two large portable swimming pools have been assembled and we have had quite a struggle getting them out to do anything else, especially because it has been so hot this week.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the morning, I get to go with the older children along with one of the other interns to Trujillo. The girls have an athletic class and the boys have a soccer class. Immediately after they all have swimming lessons. Since another intern and I are the only adults that go with them, it is a really good time to bond with them. We aren't allowed to participate in soccer and the athletic class, but those in charge of swimming have allowed us to get in with the kids and do what they are required to do in their lessons as support.

One of the other interns, Bri, is going to highlight a girl named Karla. I just want to say that I am impressed with her athletic ability. She is a natural at long jump and at running--strides ahead of the rest, literally. She has just the right amount of confidence and is a beautiful young lady. She has a lot of potential to succeed in life if given the right opportunities.

My new best friend though would have to be Andrés. He lives in modulo 2 and that is where I was assigned to eat this week, so we saw each other at least three times a day and often many more. He is around 11 years-old and loves to play in the water and play soccer. He has a kind heart, always offering to help me when ever I was doing something, like sweeping or cleaning the pools. A couple of times this week we played a board game called "ludo". I find it interesting that even the most disobedient child wants to do good deep inside. Andrés is far from being super disobedient, but like many others, it is hard to be nice when everyone is fighting for attention all the time. After dinner, I would offer to help clean. Sometimes I would help one of the kids sweep. It was only a couple of days later that Andrés started to offer to help me when ever I was doing something.

With the board game, the kids are ruthless with each other. They will cheat and lie at any opportunity. When we played ludo, I tried to show a little mercy, not knocking off the other player sometimes and helping others out. I kept repeating that I wasn't playing to win, although i don't mind winning, I just liked having fun with them, whether I win or lose. Andrés then starting helping others out and everyone was a lot more calm while we were playing and when someone finally did win, the others didn't freak out like they are accustomed to. As well, when we played soccer, I keep reiterating that I will try my hardest to win, but whether I win or lose, it isn't as important as the fact that we have fun.

I also spent a couple of hours watching a cartoon that modulo #2 love to watch. Andrés, along with the other kids, were so excited to have me join them. Something so neat was when Andrés gave me one of the two identical bracelets he was wearing. We really have become good buds. Hopefully I can be a positive influence for good not only for Andrés, but for others at the Aldea. I think many kids simply need a male figure to look up to.

Here is a picture of Andrés and some friends and I in a little pool they have (this was the only pool we had to swim in until we set up the bigger ones). I promise that is not his middle finger. He kinda looks like a little gangster :)
The other picture is of Karla doing the long jump.

0 comments: