Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Casas 2 & 5 (Tanner)

So this week in Trujillo was the first time that I went to the hospital.  Two of the other volunteers and myself accompanied Senora Marta to the hospital to help keep an eye on the kids.  One of the kids that came with us, Piero, was quite a handful.  He is only around five years old, but he is one of the most agile five year olds that I know.  I almost got lost in the hospital once while I was trying to catch up with him.
 
One thing that has happened in the aldea recently that I am very happy about is that the older boys, the ones who live in casa 5, are beginning to open up to us.  At first they would keep their distance from us, but now I feel that they have opened up to us.  They now come over to our house and just want to hang out with us, which to me is a huge step forward.
 
I'm eating casa 2 this week which is my favorite house to eat in, because of all the boys seem like brothers to me.  It;s my favorite house to eat in because it seems like there is never a moment of peace in the house.  Someone is always either screaming about something or getting beat up, and things like that...basically there is never a dull moment which I love.  I was talking to the tia in that house, Tia Carla, and I was explaing to her why I loved to be in that house so much and she expressed her similar feelings and said that it was her calling in life to be taking care of these boys.
 
We've been playing a whole lot of volleyball with the kids.  They are amazing volleyball players!  Crystell and Marina are particularly good, they hit balls that I don't even consider hitting because they are coming so fast, but then again I'm kind of a whimp :)
 
This week the U.S. played England in the world cup and we got to watch on TV in casa 5.  Preston, Dan,  Kenny, and myself were all cheering for the U.S. to win while Miguel and Beth were cheering for England.  We had bought soda for everyone while we watched the game and told Miguel that if he switched teams we would give him more coke so he switched sides leaving Beth all on her own!
 
Tanner

0 comments: