Monday, January 31, 2011

New Faces at the Aldea!

January 23 update from our interns Carrie:

There are 5 new children at the Aldea, all siblings and Me (Carrie) a new volunteer!

There is a new boy at the Aldea named Victor who is 11 years old. The first day that I was at the Aldea, I was there by myself, without the volunteers from project trust. No one at the Aldea spoke English and my Spanish wasn’t very good but Victor spent the whole day trying to help me understand what he was saying and what the other kids were telling/asking me. He still continues to ask the other volunteers and I how to say things in English so he can say things to us that we understand. He’s a really good kid and is always trying to help us or get us to play sports. Also, he is a very quick learner. When we taught some of the kids the alphabet in English, he was able to pronounce the letters correctly and correctly identify them when we asked him in English to find a certain letter. It was also Luchos birthday on Friday, he doesn’t quite understand yet that he’s another year older. When we asked him how old he was he kept telling us he was 2 but he’s 3 now.

We are so excited that our interns are already creating relationships with the kids! That's the first step to making a difference! Check back soon for more updates on the children and interns!

0 comments: